After the Car by Kingsley Dennis
- Author: Kingsley Dennis
- ISBN10: 0745644228
- ISBN13: 978-0745644226
- Publisher: Polity; 1 edition (June 22, 2009)
- Language: English
- Subcategory: Social Sciences
- Size ePub: 1870 kb
- Size PDF: 1327 kb
- Rating: 3.8/5
- Votes: 251
- 1870 downloads at 32 mb/s
- 1327 downloads at 31 mb/s
• Global warming and its many global consequences
• Peaking of oil supplies
• Increased digitisation of many aspects of economic and social life
• Massive global population increases
The authors look at changes in technology, policy, economy and society, and make a convincing argument for a future where, by necessity, the present car system will be re-designed and re-engineered.
Yet the book also suggests that there are some hugely bleak dilemmas facing the twenty first century. The authors lay out what they consider to be possible ‘post-car’ future scenarios. These they describe as ‘local sustainability’, ‘regional warlordism’ and ‘digital networks of control’.
After The Car will be of great interest to planners, policy makers, social scientists, futurologists, those working in industry, as well as general readers.
Some have described the 20th Century as the century of the car. Now that century has come to a close – and things are about to change.